Monday, November 17, 2008

argumentation fallacies

I fully understand and accept that at my University, there are many liberal professors and classes, but if I have to hear "because Bush is an Idiot," or "republican's are wrong" as an excuse for something I'm going to scream!! Especially in my argument class where the whole point is to argue without sounding stupid. some girl actually used the example "Well, Bush said that you are either for or against him when it comes to terrorism, but I think bush is an Idiot and I don't like terrorist, so I don't fall into either category." How the heck is that an acceptable argument!?!? all my teacher said was "yeah, um, Ok that's a great example." How is that an example of a false dichotomy (An argument that neglects the fact that there are more than two sides)? It's a darn good example of an ad-hominem attack (attacking a persons character to make your argument more credible), but as we learned last week those are bad in argumentation, and make you look like a retard. She may not like President Bush, and she may not like terrorists, but a good argument should include reasons why she doesn't agree with the President, not attacking him as a person. How can a professor accept this? Seriously, who has PhD in rhetoric? It just means that she's going to be really really good at lying to people, but that's a blog for another day...

No comments: