Thursday, May 22, 2008

the Gock

So I guess in reality this could be considered a "back to the library, part 2" blog, since I've been spending so much time here, but the object that i'm going to talk about deserves a blog of it's own. I'm standing in line to check out this dvd about some poor afghani family, when this electronic message board starts showing upcoming events that will be taking place at the library. There are the normal, library type shows, and art galleries, book clubs, stuff like that. What really caught my eye was an advertisement for a sock puppet activity for kids. It had a funny picture of some red sock puppet with googly-eyes and funny hair, but to top it off, this time they were going to feature the "gock". The Gothic Sock puppet for children over 13. Now we're supporting it?!? It wasn't that long ago that Gothic people were serious outcasts, and that's how they liked it!!! By making their style the norm, doesn't that defeat the purpose? But of course, there are plenty of drug dealing little kids here, I've already seen it today, it's been twenty minutes. They would probably like to make a Gock, it can have little cut marks on it, and piercings through the cheeks and nose. I'm sure they would love to take that back home to their parents, who would be delighted to see what comes out of the library that their tax dollars are funding. I think my sock puppet would wear a cute little cowboy hat, and would have the extra large googly eyes. It sure wouldn't sing depressing songs on it's "old guitar, that it made out of a new guitar."

No comments: