Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Sweet Nostalgia


After the disappearance of my little sisters car keys while at school, I ended up bringing her the spare set. It was the first time I had been back to my high school in about a year and a half. I decided that since the outside door to the band room was open, I would take a peek inside. I wasn't expecting the memories of high school to come flooding back to me with the simple act of walking through a door way.
Granted, high school wasn't that great. It was full of psycho boyfriends, malicious girls that had no self esteem, and plenty of days eating lunch in the library by myself. But band was the one thing I had that never changed. I could always go to the band room and know that I had friends there. I may have been a nerd, but no one there judged me. Of course, they were all nerds to!!
As I walked into the room, first thing I saw were the pictures of past state competitions. Seeing my 16 year old self surrounded by my best friends, all grinning because it was finally over! I couldn't believe how much we had all grown up!
Next I ventured into the band closet. No one was in the room, so I didn't really feel awkward. The back wall of this closet is covered in the names of previous alta band graduates. We each got our own brick, and we decorated it however we wanted. My bright green brick is right in the middle :) The bricks are personalized, and just reading them made me realize what amazing friends I was blessed with in high school. Brandon's "semper fi" brick is up in the corner,
"the Chad" signed right below it. Jason and Ammon are shown climbing up a mountain on two connecting bricks, and there's even one that glows in the dark. I was sort of tempted to climb into the "fortress of sollitude," but I didn't want someone to walk in and see some strange college girl climbing on the lockers. Unfortunaltely my band director wasn't there, something about parent teacher conference, like that's important. But aside from that, it was a good experience. I saw my "service to the band" award, walked past the practice room where the whole band came to the conclusion that I was a lip slut (false accusations). Good times.
I'm not saying that college band isn't fun, but come on! it's soo not the same! No one knows each other that well, and we all have completely different lives. We seem to come together on trips, and later on in the semester, but it's definetely lacking the unity of high school. I guess nothing compares to Alta Band.

No comments: