Tuesday, October 14, 2008

personal narrative -2a-

To understand how this situation had come about, we need to back up about 4 months. My Air Force ROTC detachment was at Fairchild Air Force Base in Spokane, Washington. We were spending a few days touring the base, and learning what it was like to be on active duty. One day while getting food in the chow hall, I was approached by a young airman in his uniform. He asked me if I was from Utah, and after noticing my confused look, he mentioned that he had seen my CTR ring and figured that since I was Mormon, I must be from Utah. I was hesitant to give him any information about myself; until I found out we went to the same high school and graduated a year apart. He introduced himself as Josh, and to make it even stranger, he was friends with my best friend Brandon. After talking for a few minutes, I said goodbye and didn’t think more about him until a week later when Brandon gave him my e-mail address.
Over the next three months Josh and I started calling and texting each other daily. Although I had only really met him once, I felt that I knew him pretty well. After all, I had asked Brandon about him and even went as far as to ask a seminary teacher we both had if this boy was for real. It wasn’t until later that I realized how naïve and stupid I had been.
One day in late April, Robyn and I had gone out to lunch at one of my favorite restaurants. We were both stressed from school and ready to take a break. When the idea of a road trip came up, I was quick to mention that maybe we could go back to Fairchild AFB. Robyn definitely had fun the first time we went there, and we could take a trip over to Mt. St. Helens, and come back through Yellowstone. It was settled. We mapped out our route and anxiously awaited our departure.
Two days before we left, I called Josh to make sure that the motels on base were available. Without missing a beat he told me that they were always available, and they never filled up. That was great news for us, because the motel on base only cost about $25 a night.
After finishing up some last minute grocery shopping and tests, we were off! I could hardly contain my excitement. I was finally doing something completely spontaneous and random. Even if I didn’t end up liking this guy, I was going to have a great time and I really deserved this vacation.

No comments: