I lay crying on the dank motel bed. I was in Spokane, Washington with one of my best friends. It seemed like we were millions of miles from home. The boy I had only met a few months ago, who had asked me to drive up to Washington from Salt Lake and had convinced me that we were perfect for each other, had disappeared off the face of the planet. I was mad, embarrassed, and depressed. He had convinced me to do something that was completely unlike me, and I was more upset with myself than I was with anyone else. Robyn tried to console me like a good friend would do. She sat on the bed next to me and let me cry.
With my legs pulled toward my chest, I tried to control my emotions and analyze the situation I had gotten myself into. We had a car, some money for food and gas, and a map of the US. I knew there were people I could call, people who would do anything to help me, but I didn’t want them to know how stupid I had been, how badly I had misjudged the situation. I had never been this spontaneous, and now it had all backfired.
I had to figure this out. Even with Robyn there, I had never felt so alone in my life. I was in a strange place, and an even stranger situation. The smell of cigarette smoke and cheap motel mingled in the air around me, and I knew I would have to make the best of this dreadful situation.
No comments:
Post a Comment