Monday, November 15, 2010




Alooooha!! Sorry it's been soo long... The open house is over and we have a full p-day once again! It's been about 4 weeks, and I'm ready to relax for a bit. (But not too long because I need to take Sister Alexeenko to the Polynesian Cultural Center soon!)

The open house was amazing. We had about 54,000 people come through, and many of them asked to have missionaries come teach them more. It was such a great experience, and I'm soo grateful that I was able to be a part of it.  I realized at the beginning that if I hadn't extended my mission I would have missed this completely! 

We were soo busy these last few weeks. We had shifts at the Visitors Center, at the open house, at the Polynesian Cultural Center, and still had to work with the people we're teaching in our areas.  The open house was a lot of fun. We weren't allowed to proselyte (of course), but we could answer questions if they asked us. So 4 missionaries were always stationed in the refreshment tent so if people had questions after they came out of the temple they could ask us. This was the best, because we were always answering questions, and teaching. I think I taught the first missionary discussion (restoration) at least 6 times. Other than that it was a lot of questions like "Where are your regular services held?" and "What do the oxen mean in the baptistry?" And a lot of people had questions about the priesthood, and the role of women in the church. 

The best part, for me, was seeing all the people from all over the island that I had met during my mission. The Lord always put me in a position where I could see my recent converts, or families I had worked with. It was hard, kinda like saying goodbye again, but what a blessing it was to be able to see them one last time. Especially the ones I never got to say goodbye to in the first place.

One experience I had: A couple came into the reception tent after going through the temple, and they were talking with a senior missionary about the rooms inside. He was very impressed, and said "I knew a girl who was Mormon, she always glowed. Now I know why, because she went to the temple." 

I am soo grateful for temples, and the opportunity to serve near this one. It has been the greatest experience of my life, and to top it off the prophet is coming on Sunday to dedicate it. After that (10 days, I think) I will get to go inside with all the missionaries who are going home with me, and once again feel the spirit that is there in the Lords House!

Ofa Lahi atu, aloha 'oe
Sister Charlene Bridge

No comments: