Greeting my friends. So I've been in Hawaii for a week now, and a ton has happened! The people here are amazing. One thing they are definitely not lacking in is faith. I'm assigned to the Laie area right now, serving in the Visitor Center, the Laie 8th ward, and the BYU-H 1st, 17th, and 18th wards. So a few things I want to touch on....
1- Yes the bugs are huge. There are flying cockroaches that will one day eat me in my sleep.
2- The members feed us every night. They sign up for it. It's great. If we have to be at the Visitor Center the members just bring us dinner, but we also eat at their houses a lot. I love it.
3- My companion (Sis. Lee) is from Korea. She's teaching me Korean, an nyung ha sae yo! which means hello...
We love to talk about our different cultures. And sometimes I'll be about to fall asleep, and she'll ask me about how we do certain things in America. Like "Sis bridge, what's dating like in America?" It's funny. Then we'll talk about different eating habits, and stuff like that. Very very funny.
4- There are sooo many different cultures here. I had a Houli (American) dinner yesterday with roast beef, mashed potatoes and gravy, then two hours later I had a Korean dinner with a lot of rice, huge shrimp, potstickers, and some meat I can't pronounce. Good stuff. Since my companion is Korean, they made her this really spicy soup that they didn't even think I could eat. Good times.
5- So this whole taking my shoes off thing, is kinda cool. I'm getting tan lines on my feet, and lower calf. Yes Mo, I'm a little sun-burned, but not bad!!! Honestly!!! Just my face a little.
6-The first gecko I saw was dead, stuck in the CD player. But other than that I've only seen 2 or 3. One almost fell on my comp. yesterday at church, and scared her. Maybe a gecko will eat me while I sleep... interesting.
7- Yes... I have to wear the Muu Muu. I'm sorry, I GET to wear the Mu'umu'u. It's blue, and flowery. I'll send pictures. It's actually really comfortable, and I'll probably bring a few home so I can wear them,
8- I'm learning a little Hawaiian, Pidgeon, and various other types of lingo. Honestly, you just pick it up. Kinda funny. I'm sure I sound like an idiot. Oh well, it's funny.
9- We work at the PCC (Polynesian Culture Center) a lot, inviting people to come on the tram ride to the Temple/Visitor Center. It's really fun. We get to wear another mu'umu'u that matches the PCC workers. It's a bit more frilly than the normal ones. And no Mo... I don't get distracted by the shirtless Polynesian men walking around with fire. Ok, maybe a little. But i'll never admit to it ;)
10- So I'm one of the only American sisters here. My roommates are Japanese, Korean, and German. I can't understand their languages, and so most of the time just sit there and smile. Then we play football and then I feel special cuz I know how to play. I love the sisters though, they are sooo amazing. But yes, I'm the only blonde, and it's very interesting. They are all scared to get a Houli companion because we're all picky and strict about the rules apparently. Go figure.
The work is going really well. The whole mission baptizes a lot of people. I've had some AMAZING experiences that have really strengthened my testimony on prayer and faith. I know that this is where I'm supposed to be. I love Hawaii. Yes, it's very very hot. Yes, my hair doesn't agree with the humidity and I look funny a lot. But my mission president and his wife are great. As we drove from the airport I saw an F-16 (I think... pretty sure) take off from Hickam AFB. Sooo cool... pretty much confirmed the amazingness of this place.
As far as mail goes... just send them to the mission office, and they forward them to me. It just makes it easier for the mission office.
1500 Beretania St Ste 416
Honolulu Hawaii
It's great here, and the people are amazing. I hope I don't gain too much weight... but whatever! I wear a mu'umu'u. You can't tell a persons figure in that.
Oh, I met this amazing mother and daughter on the plane ride to Hawai'i. We got talking, and I taught them the first lesson. They are soo great! They took the bus 2 hours from Waikiki to Laie to go to Church with me on Sunday (yesterday). They met a member on the bus who gave them a Book of Mormon, and then they loved Sacrament Meeting! We took them to the Visitor Center and taught them the second lesson, plan of salvation. They are such amazing people!!! They really recognize the Lord's blessings in their lives, and want to be members of the Church. Soo amazing how the Lord makes things happen at the perfect time :D
Well I think that's all for now. I'm sending home my memory card ASAP so you can see pictures, and right now I'm heading to the PCC to look around. I love p-days, but they are sooo busy!! Love you all!!! Mahalo Nui Loa!!!
-Sister Bridge
No comments:
Post a Comment